Buying a house is a life changing event, which some people can’t even afford, especially youngsters. That is why it is such a difficult decision to make. There are expectations that need to be met because an investment entails a future profit. However, after 2008,...
While many retirees welcome the idea of moving to a retirement community with enthusiasm, others may be reluctant to take this big step. Moving to a retirement community entails a change of lifestyle. Hence, here are some important questions and inquiries you may be...
Skin Aging is a natural process that happens when the skin starts to lose its ability to regenerate itself. Pigmentation, lack of elasticity, and alteration on the collagen fibers are some of the signs that indicate that this process is beginning. But don’t panic!...
If you’re a retiree, you might be facing the dilemma of choosing what’s best for your future. After working hard for years throughout your life, you may be looking for some peace and tranquility, while also being able to enjoy the perks of having free time doing new...
Many people mistakenly think that aging equals a less active lifestyle. On the contrary, this is a time in our lives when we finally have free time after years of hard work, and can enjoy activities we’ve been longing to do. Plus, these activities can have a positive...
North Carolina Facts: Get to Know the City
If you clicked this article, maybe you’re thinking about moving to North Carolina. This beautiful state has something for everyone, and in the last decade has seen a significant increase in its population due to its high quality and serene living, perfect for retirees. Here’s a list of quick facts to help you get to know the state that you can make your new home:
- North Carolina is the 9th most populated state in the US.
- Its borders are Virginia to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the east, Georgia and South Carolina to the south, and Tennessee to the west.
- Raleigh is the state’s capital and Charlotte is its largest city.
- Raleigh, Durham and Cary have an estimated population of 2,079,687 in 2019, and is home to the largest research park in the United States: the Research Triangle Park.
- North Carolina consists of three main geographic regions: on the eastern portion of the state, the Atlantic coastal plain; the Piedmont region at the center; and the mountain region in the west, which is part of the Appalachian Mountains.
- It is home to vast wildlife populations that include endangered species such as the Northern flying squirrel, several species of bats and the red wolf.
- With over 470 species of birds, North Carolina is a true blessing for bird enthusiasts. The state bird is the cardinal.
- Dogwood is the state flower of North Carolina.
- North Carolina’s slogan is “First in Flight”, to commemorate this achievement.
- There are plenty of activities to do in North Carolina due to its geographical characteristics: from swimming in the ocean to skiing in the mountains; freshwater and saltwater fishing, hunting, birdwatching, agritourism, ATV trails, ballooning, rock climbing, biking, hiking, skiing, boating and sailing, camping, canoeing, caving (spelunking), gardens, and arboretums. North Carolina has theme parks, aquariums, museums, historic sites, lighthouses, elegant theaters, concert halls, and fine dining. It also has numerous local bike paths, 34 state parks, and 14 national parks.
- North Carolina’s population was 10,439,388 at the 2020 U.S. census.
- This state is the leading U.S. state in production of flue-cured tobacco and sweet potatoes, and comes second in the farming of pigs and hogs, trout, and turkeys. In the three most recent USDA surveys (2002, 2007, 2012), North Carolina also ranked second in the production of Christmas trees.
- Seagrove, NC is the handmade-pottery capital of the U.S., where artisans create handcrafted pottery inspired by the same traditions that began in this community more than two hundred years ago.
- North Carolina produced many significant jazz musicians, including John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Billy Taylor, Woody Shaw, Lou Donaldson, Max Roach, Tal Farlow, Albert, Jimmy and Percy Heath, Nina Simone and Billy Strayhorn.
Still curious about what North Carolina has to offer? Ask for a consultation to know everything about quality and cost of living, transportation, security, real estate prices and more. Contact us to make an appointment!