Buying a house is a life changing event, which some people can’t even afford, especially youngsters. That is why it is such a difficult decision to make. There are expectations that need to be met because an investment entails a future profit. However, after 2008,...
Questions to ask when considering an Active Adult Community
While many retirees welcome the idea of moving to a retirement community with enthusiasm, others may be reluctant to take this big step. Moving to a retirement community entails a change of lifestyle. Hence, here are some important questions and inquiries you may be...
Skincare tips for 55+ adults
Skin Aging is a natural process that happens when the skin starts to lose its ability to regenerate itself. Pigmentation, lack of elasticity, and alteration on the collagen fibers are some of the signs that indicate that this process is beginning. But don’t panic!...
Differences between Active Adult Community vs Independent living Community
If you’re a retiree, you might be facing the dilemma of choosing what’s best for your future. After working hard for years throughout your life, you may be looking for some peace and tranquility, while also being able to enjoy the perks of having free time doing new...
How to stay physically active in retirement
Many people mistakenly think that aging equals a less active lifestyle. On the contrary, this is a time in our lives when we finally have free time after years of hard work, and can enjoy activities we’ve been longing to do. Plus, these activities can have a positive...
10 Reasons to Retire in North Carolina
Take a moment to consider what your wishes are for this new chapter in your life. What you choose to do and where you choose to be should be aligned as closely as possible with these wishes to help you find personal fulfillment and comfort in your golden years.
What does North Carolina offer you that makes it such a great place to retire? Here’s a list that might finally help you make up your mind:
- Friendlier tax policies for retirees: Social Security income is not taxable in North Carolina, and income taxes in retirement have a lowered flat rate; property taxes are lower as well and there’s no estate tax. These policies turn North Carolina into a great option for seniors that want to begin their own business or even resume or further their education.
- Lower than average cost of living: though it might seem the other way around, North Carolina actually has a lower cost of living than the national average. This applies not only to housing, but to utilities and transportation as well.
- Education opportunities for seniors: if you’re looking to spend your hard-earned free time on some intellectual stimulation, North Carolina suits you perfectly. There are plenty of opportunities for retirees to pursue academic study at the many universities located around the State. The University of North Carolina, for example, offers a Continuing Education program with a range of general interest courses for community members. Programs and lectures in the arts, humanities, and sciences provide engaging experiences for learners of all ages and interests.
- Enjoy a better quality of life in Charlotte and Raleigh: North Carolina’s largest cities have risen dramatically in popularity the last couple of years, due to rising business opportunities and availability of jobs there.
- A new beautiful scenario every season: a moderate climate that still has the four seasons gives our residents a spectacular view of the mountains and the coasts every year. The rich soil makes gardening a prefered activity for seniors, as well.
- Live the big city life with the perks of a small town: experience all the diversity that a large city offers yet live your quiet life just on the outskirts. Charlotte is the biggest city in the state. With beautiful architecture and many historical landmarks and attractions, the Queen City attracts the attention of seniors and young families alike. The NASCAR Hall of Fame, the Civil War landmarks, the theme park, the Discovery Place and the Carowinds are waiting, just to name a few.
- A natural beauty just outside your window: imagine waking up in the morning to the stunning view of the Great Smoky Mountains or even the Blue Ridge Mountains. Picture yourself visiting the barrier islands near the coast and cruising on a boat with your family. Fill these years of selfcare with memories worth treasuring.
- Plan your getaway at the beach or in the mountains: more than 300 miles of coastline and an amazing mountain landscape make North Carolina a haven of diverse and beautiful nature. If you’re an active adult, you could go on an exciting skiing or hiking adventure on the Blue Ridge Parkway or the Appalachian Trail. Or for something more slow-paced, enjoy a big get-together with friends or family at your favorite beach.
- Proven best destination for retirement: more and more seniors end up coming half-way back to North Carolina for retirement after setting their eyes on Florida. A big percentage of them move to North Carolina in order to spend time with their families, since it offers such lucratives jobs that have attracted many young adults during the last few years.
- Something for everyone: whether you’re interested in education, nature, culture or sports, you will always find activities to keep you entertained and busy. Visit some of the historical sites and museums, follow your favorite team among the 21 professional and minor league teams, take part in the artistic side of the city and finish off watching the sunset on the beach.